Thursday, January 29, 2009

New Ride

Let me say this and be VERY clear......I hate car payments.  HATE them.  I despise making monthly payments on an item that is depreciating as fast as an automobile almost as much as I despise having to spend money to repair said vehicle.   I haven't had a payment in nearly 3 years.  However, as of last night, I have one again. 

I have driven a 1999 Buick Park Avenue since mid summer 2005.  It was nice and big, and pretty well equipped.  Oh yea, and it was supercharged.  Better yet, it got nearly 30 mpg on the highway. Thirty miles per gallon from a big, V6 luxury car with over 100K miles on it.  So I remain numb to the constant barrage of ads about these tiny tin cans that get "nearly 30 mpg".  Big deal.

But what was a big deal was the rapid decline of condition over the last 6 months. 
 
First, the supercharger belt flew apart.  Did I fix it?  Nope.  Took it off, kept digging. 
 
Next, brakes began to shutter like a 737 in turbulence.  Turn 'em? Do you know what that cost?  

Then, it basically had a stroke.  It lost most of the use of internal electricals.  No power windows, no power locks, and the fuel gage needle began to resemble a  metronome, swinging back and forth in smooth rhythmic cadence (full-empty-full-empty, tick-tock-tick- tock).  Really took the boredom out of everyday driving.

And last, I think the torque converter was going bad.  Or maybe it was the Johnson rod.  I have no idea.

So I traded.  I have a car payment again.  Windows work, brakes are smooth and I know exactly how much gas I have in the tank.  But really, those are just luxuries, and I could have lived with them.  In fact, with the exception of feeling safe driving my kids around, there was no truly compelling argument for trading.    But that was enough.  

Oh, and the opportunity to torment a car salesmen who just happens to be a close personal friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment